Liquid lipsticks have taken the beauty industry by storm in the past few years. They are long wearing, pigmented and (sometimes) transfer proof which makes them ideal for all day events-. However, we know the dark side of liquid lipsticks, chapped lips.
There are ways to keep your lips from drying out throughout the day. One of the biggest factors is formula.
You want to find a liquid lipstick brand that isn’t too drying. Some liquid lipsticks will apply well but immediately suck the moisture form your lips leaving them looking cracked, chapped and full of unwanted texture. Not only will this be visually unappealing, it will also be uncomfortable.
My favorite liquid lipsticks are:
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks
- Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipsticks
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipsticks
Besides formula, there are several ways to prep you’re lips for a smoother application.
1. Drink water!!! Your water intake is important for SOOOO many reasons. Water helps improve skin immensely, especially lips! Chapped lips need moisture, so make sure you’re drinking a ton of water daily!
2. Exfoliate!!! The best way to prep your lips before liquid lipsticks is to remove the dead skin by exfoliating. There are several ways to do so- my favorite ways are to either use a tooth brush or a lip scrub. (See below for how to on both methods)
3. SPF!!! We tend to forget to protect our lips daily, which is super important! Chapstick is obviously great to sooth chapped lips, but did you know its super helpful for sun exposure? Using a SPF on your lips is vital- so check to see if your lipsticks chapstick has SPF in it.
4. Lip Treatments!!! There are so many skin care products these days- even some specifically made for lips. My favorite is the Organic Pharmacy Eye & Lip Cream. It feels like lotion of your lips, which sounds weird, but it’s amazing! It moisturizes and soothers- plus it absorbed pretty quickly so there’s no residue left over. There are also a variety of lip masks, such as KNC Beauty Collagen Infused Lip Mask. (Sorry for the weird stripes on this photo my light is on the fritz.)
There are a few ays to exfoliate your lips, my two favorite being a tooth brush or sugar scrub. You can make your own scrubs if you look into DIY recipes.
Tooth Brush Method: For this preparation method, you want to use a soft bristled tooth brush like a baby tooth brush! This is important: if you use a medium or hard bristled toothbrush, you can hurt your lips by scratching and irritating them! The wet soft baby bristles work wonders if you run over the lips gently. This will remove dead skin and plump your lips up since your are promoting blood flow.
Lip Scrub Method: This is my favorite method to exfoliate! I absolutely love sugar lip scrubs being that they are gritty enough to remove dead skin and flavored for a more pleasurable experience. There are a lot of sugar scrubs that can be licked clean off our your lips or wiped off. Lip scrubs are super easy and fast! You apply a liberal amount of scrub to your lips using your finger tips, rub in circular motions and remove with a wet paper towel or wash cloth. You can remove the sugar scrub with a makeup wipe, but a warm/hot towel will work better as it will help dissolve the sugar while you wipe.
There are also different textured lip scrubs. Pictured about is a Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub in Watermelon Gum (yum). It is super gritty and really scrubs the crap out of lips. Another great heavy duty Scrub is Tartes Lip Facial Lip Scrub which comes in a lipstick like container so its super easy to apply.
If you prefer something lighter, Hempz makes a lip scrub that is in a thick chopstick consistency with a less intense grit.
Please note: Be super gentle when exfoliating your lips, especially if you are new to it! It can feel a bit uncomfortable but it isn’t painful by any means. Do not rub too hard, tug at your lips roughly or anything that will hurt your skin.
Tips For Longer Wear Time with Liquid Lipsticks:
- After applying liquid lipstick, try not to press or rub lip together.
- Avoid oily foods. Oils will break down the product.
All of these tips & tricks should help your lips be more prepared for liquid lipsticks that will last for hours! What are you favorite liquid lipsticks? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading. Don’t forget to follow my IG: bewitching makeup/ Blog: bewitchingmakeup.wordpress.com